Manchester Futsal Club

The Home of Futsal

Match Report: Manchester Futsal Club 1-3 Sheffield FC Futsal Club

by Aaron Russell

Manchester taste defeat at the hands of the Yorkshire outfit.

Manchester lost for the first time in the FA Futsal National Super League Northern Division since March 2013, going down 3-1 against Sheffield at the National Cycling Centre on Sunday.

Raducio King got Manchester’s only goal of the game late on and it proved to only be a consolation as Sheffield took all three points.

King was involved heavily in the action early on, denying Joseph Clowes at one end before seeing his shot go narrowly wide at the other end. Head Coach Chris Vernon was then forced into an early change as King picked up a minor eye injury in a collision and had to be momentarily brought off.

The early stages of the game set the pace for the game as both teams exchanged good pieces of attacking play, Eddie Bryers being denied by Marcin Piotrowicz whilst Ilya Ovechkin was aware to prevent Pablo Ramirez getting a shot on target.

The away side took the lead in the 8th minute as Pau Lopez got his name on the score sheet. Adam Oldham held the ball up in the corner and played the ball across the face of goal for Lopez to tap in past Russel Astle-Coates for 1-0.

Following the goal, chances were exchanged frequently by both sides as Astle-Coates and Piotrowicz were both tested as the first half came to a close.

Astle-Coates was in action to deny Hussein Salem and Eric Tabares whilst Piotrowicz prevented Sam Richardson and Raducio King levelling the scores with two smart saves.

Eddie Bryers did beat Piotrowicz in the 18th minute but was saved by his right hand post as Bryers saw his close range effort bounce clear from danger.

Sheffield called a timeout with exactly a minute remaining in the first half and grabbed their second ten seconds after the restart as Eric Tabares emphatically smashed the ball into the roof of the net for 2-0.

The woodwork was proving to be Manchester’s enemy with Raducio King and Ben Seol seeing their efforts bounce clear off the post and crossbar. Marcin Piotrowicz also denied King on the counter attack as the home side looked to pull a goal back early in the second half.

Russel Astle-Coates had another busy half, producing numerous good saves to deny Joseph Clowes and Hussein Salem – the latter the most impressive with Salem in a good position to score.

With ten minutes of play remaining, Adam Oldham brought the ball down with his back to goal before shooting over on the turn and was involved again two minutes later when his shot cannoned away off the crossbar.

Manchester came close to reducing the deficit twice in the latter stages when Piotrowicz produced a fine save to palm away Marcos Leon’s powerful shot before Sheffield’s Pablo Ramirez sliced the ball onto his own crossbar.

With Manchester pushing further forward for a way back into the game, Sheffield countered and secured the three points in the 38th minute. Adam Oldham was left in a one-on-one situation with Astle-Coates and applied the finish to give Sheffield a three goal advantage.

Raducio King added a consolation late on as he smashed the ball past substitute goalkeeper Samuel Mattocks, but it was Sheffield who picked up the win to condemn Manchester to their first defeat in the FA National Futsal Super League Northern Division since March 2013.

Next up is a trip to Loughborough on the 8th November and you can keep up-to-date with all the action by following @MFC_Futsal on Twitter.


Leave a comment