Manchester Futsal Club

The Home of Futsal

Manchester Futsal Club 5-2 Loughborough Futsal Club - MATCH REPORT

by Nathan Linley

Manchester Futsal Club secured their first win of the season with a very impressive 5-2 victory against a resolute Loughborough Futsal Club.

The Blues kicked off their home campaign with a win after being well beaten by London Helvecia last week and they were very keen to make amends after the disappointing result at the Leyton Score Centre.

First team coach Sergi Saldana was pleased with his side’s performance this afternoon but refused to get carried away despite the win and demands that his players remain focused over the next few months.

“It’s nice because it’s the first game at home and I expected to win, so it’s okay.  In spite of this we have to improve a lot but the first thing that’s important now is the attitude and we need to maintain that positive mentality.”

“The whole team played well, we are a team and a unit.  Sometimes some players perform better than others but it is important that we stick together.”

“We need to focus on the new methodologies that I want to implement, the players are still learning but as they long as they keep that positive attitude then I am confident going into the next game.”

“Maybe in a couple of months we will play much better, the first games are not friendlies but almost because it’s important to highlight the mistakes that we make now rather than a few months down the line, therefore making it much more difficult for teams to play against us.”

Manchester started off brightly in the game and kept the ball very well in the early stages.

They had their fair share of early chances as Jordan Edge had a free kick saved well by Loughborough goalkeeper, Sam Mattocks.

All within the first 3 minutes Andrei Debon found himself with space on the left, turned inside and fired just wide of the far post for Manchester.

Loughborough took the early initiative in the game after Tomaso Toti found space and found the back of Marcos Mag’s net to give the visitors the lead inside four minutes.

Straight from kick off Manchester’s Danny Stapleton hit a first time shot past Mattocks to make It 1-1 and even the game up once more.

Loughborough’s Toti found space, turned inside and went to ground only to be booked for simulation in the 6th minute.

Half way through the first half, Manchester then took the lead for the first time as Ilya Ovechkin pounced on a rebound from a save from Sam Mattocks, rolled the ball and calmly finished to give the hosts the lead.

Michael Koopowitz for the away side was causing the host problems and fired just wide from an indirect free kick which Manchester conceded from a pass back.

Just before half time, a cross from Robert Lacis found Koopowitz unmarked who headered home and evened the tie up at 2-2.


In the second half Manchester started very brightly and scored almost immediately as Donate Kimet crossed beautifully for Adam Oldham who had an easy job of finishing to put Manchester back in front.

Jordan Edge then came close after a darting run down the left-hand side seen his shot hit the inside of the near post and bounce back out to Oldham who unfortunately could not capitalise.

Skipper Sam Richardson then crossed from the left and found Danny Stapleton unmarked who scored his second of the game to make it 4-2 to the hosts.

Loughborough almost got a goal back on 28 minutes but a stunning save from Marcos Mag to his left-hand side prevented Blaise Garp’s curling effort.

Jordan Edge would go on to hit the post again before scoring four minutes from time with yet another assist from Richardson down the left, a goal that Edge deserved.

It would finish 5-2 and give Manchester Futsal Club their first win of the season at the second time of asking.  Next up for the Blues is York City next weekend where Sergi Saldana’s side will look to put on a similar performance.



Goalscorers : MFC:  Stapleton (5’, 25’), Ovechkin (10’), Oldham (21’) Edge (36’). LFC: Toti (5’), Koopowitz (19’)