Manchester Futsal Club

The Home of Futsal

Cambridge United Futsal Club vs Manchester Futsal Club MATCH REPORT

by Lewis Wiseman

Another disappointing result for the Blues as Cambridge pick up the three points at home, winning the match 4-3.

After taking the lead early, Manchester then found themselves 3-1 down at half time due to some quick-fire finishing from Cambridge.

In the second half, the home side looked to hang on to their lead by sitting very deep, Manchester managed to pull it back to 3-3 however Cambridge worked hard and got the winning goal.

First team coach Sergi Saldana said, he doesn’t know what to think of today’s result.

“Again, we had options today and we couldn’t score, we really need to train on finishing off chances.”

“We play in a small court against a team who defended well in their half court, it was very difficult to break their defence down and create chances,” Saldana said.

Manchester had the best chances early in the match, and in the 3rd minute Kimmet managed to dribble around the keeper and on coming defenders, only to see his shot canon of the crossbar.

In the 6th minute Collier opened the scoring for Manchester as his attempted cross deflected into the net, leaving the Cambridge keeper very confused.

From this point on in the first half, Cambridge took control, scoring an equaliser in the 9th minute through Henery, who managed to slot the ball past Cristiano in goals.

The referee gave the first yellow of the game shortly after the equalising goal, to Monty Boutell from Cambridge, the ref also had words with a few Manchester players telling them to calm down.

17 minutes into the half Cambridge picked up their fifth foul however it seemed to work in their favour as in the same minute, they scored twice, through Martinez and Boutell, the score was now 3-1.

Just before half time Manchester did finally get a penalty through the five fouls rule, however Kimmet was unsuccessful in converting it, so at the break the score was 3-1.

Three minutes into the second half and yellow card tally reached 5, two for Manchester and three for Cambridge, the referees really were putting their foot down.

Doug Reed brought one goal back for the Blues right on 26 minutes, and on the 32nd minute Manchester completed the comeback, with an Adam Oldham tap in special. The score was 3-3.

Unfortunately, Cambridge regained the lead a minute later, through yet another counter attack, this time Lopez was the goal scorer.

To make matters worse, Giles Collier was sent off for throwing a water bottle onto the court after he was forced off through a knee injury. Luckily for Manchester an official substitution was already made before his red card, so the Blues were able to keep 5 players on the pitch.

A tense final three minutes followed, with Manchester heaping on the pressure chasing a last-ditch equaliser but unfortunately it wasn’t to be.

The underlying tone of the match was the referee’s no-nonsense approach, as they produced 5 yellow cards in the match and Giles Collier picking up a red.

The home side did defend well and as a coherent unit and earned their victory through a defensive effort, and yet again Manchester’s finishing was lacking in front of goal which proved costly.

There is no FA National Super League fixtures next weekend, so the teams gets a week off, which may be well timed as Saldana and his side need to find a way to turn their fortunes around.

Leave a comment