Manchester Futsal Club

The Home of Futsal

Manchester Futsal 7-3 Oxford Lions - MATCH REPORT

by Riegan Thompson

Manchester Futsal bounced back from their away draw with York City to come out 7-3 victors over Oxford Lions in an entertaining game of futsal at the National Cycling Centre.


The visitors were coming off the back of a 10-7 victory over Loughborough last weekend and were in confident mood.


Goalkeeper Zak Austin was looking to make good of his chance between the sticks and started strongly, denying Romero in the opening two minutes.


Manchester took the lead on three minutes when Garcia latched on to a loose ball, broke through the defence and slotted home underneath the on rushing Sam Marsden.


Oxford were gifted a route back into the game when Jordan Edge miss placed his pass. The ball was won by Julio Ramon who passed it across to captain Denilson Silva for an easy finish.


The Lions founded themselves ahead moments later. Their patient build up was rewarded when Denilson Silva turned and fired his shot into the top right corner, past the helpless Austin.


Manchester responded immediately, with Jordan Edge more than making up for his earlier mistake. Edge engineered space for himself on the left to cross in for the grateful Adam Lavin to tap home and make the score 2-2.


It was the hosts who went into the interval in the driving seat thanks to Doug Reed. Zak Austin started the counter attack with a roll out to Reed, he exchanged passes with Debon and then despatched the ball into the roof of the net.



Oxford started the second half brightest and pulled a goal back in fortunate circumstances. Zak Austin was penalised for multiple touches, having received the ball from Reed, resulting in an indirect free-kick for the Lions. Romero stepped up and converted to make it 3-3.


With the game evenly poised, it was Manchester who took the game by the scruff of the neck to run out comfortable winners.


Garcia latched on to the end of Lavin’s centre to get his second and Manchester’s fourth on 26 minutes.


With ten minutes remaining, Stapleton found himself on the scoresheet. Da Costa made a bursting run through the middle and slipped it into Edge who found Stapleton to turn the ball home at the back post.


Edge further punished Oxford Lions when he converted a penalty, after six Oxford fouls, to make it 6-3 to the hosts.


Manchester’s fine home performance was wrapped up on 39 minutes by Debon. Lavin broke away and squared the ball to Debon who saw his initial shot saved but made no mistake from the rebound.


Head coach Sergi Saldana had this to say, “It’s the first time we scored more than four goals for a long time, so I am happy about this. We had a lot of opportunities today to score goals, so some days we have bad luck but today we had good luck on our side.”


Sergi went on to add, “I spoke to the guys after the game and the most important thing is always their attitude, sometimes I feel that we are not living futsal and that we need to play with more sense, but we always have a good attitude.  We are sometimes a bit too friendly and we need to be a bit more passionate.”


He went on to say, “It’s difficult to change the mind of the players, if we are either winning or losing, we must try and play at the same level.”


Sergi finished by saying “Sometimes it seems like we are nervous, and we are not patient with our time on the ball.  I think we can change this, the most important thing is that we get on a run of wins now, to be confident, it is easier if you are winning games.”




Leave a comment